Vista officially sucks my butt. :)

Steve Sobol
Administrator
So, I'm working on my CMS, and I have the DAV part partially working. I try to delete a file being served up via DAV, and I should get an error message as I have not implemented DeletableResource yet... but the file just disappears.

But then I hit F5 to refresh the list of files, and it shows up again.

So, I make a copy of the source code for MiltonServlet, add a few lines to show the actual HTTP request and the resulting status code. Milton is, in fact, responding with an HTTP 501 (not that I ever doubted that!) and Windows is ignoring it.

So, I fire up NetDrive and... when I try to delete the file, NetDrive (correctly) complains: "Method Not Implemented." And Windows STILL supposedly "deletes" the file - but when I hit F5, it shows up again.

I am going to file a bug report with Microsoft, but meanwhile, if anyone has a workaround for this horrible little bit of brokenness, could they please share it?

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA

Re: Vista officially sucks my butt. :)

Brad McEvoy

I think we've seen this before with ms office. Can you try hacking the
response handler to return 405 method not allowed instead of 501?

We've got a MsOfficeResponseHandler which is meant to handle this hack,
but just had a look and i think its changing the wrong response code.

Cheers,
Brad

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:01 -0500, "Steve Sobol" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> So, I'm working on my CMS, and I have the DAV part partially working. I
> try to delete a file being served up via DAV, and I should get an error
> message as I have not implemented DeletableResource yet... but the file
> just disappears.
>
> But then I hit F5 to refresh the list of files, and it shows up again.
>
> So, I make a copy of the source code for MiltonServlet, add a few lines
> to show the actual HTTP request and the resulting status code. Milton is,
> in fact, responding with an HTTP 501 (not that I ever doubted that!) and
> Windows is ignoring it.
>
> So, I fire up NetDrive and... when I try to delete the file, NetDrive
> (correctly) complains: "Method Not Implemented." And Windows STILL
> supposedly "deletes" the file - but when I hit F5, it shows up again.
>
> I am going to file a bug report with Microsoft, but meanwhile, if anyone
> has a workaround for this horrible little bit of brokenness, could they
> please share it?
>
> --
> Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA

  Brad McEvoy

----- "Brad McEvoy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think we've seen this before with ms office. Can you try hacking
> the
> response handler to return 405 method not allowed instead of 501?

In fact, I tried that, but I hacked the MiltonServlet to change the status after calling HttpManager.process. That might not have been the right place to make the change.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA

Re: Vista officially sucks my butt. :)

Steve Sobol
Administrator

----- "Steve Sobol" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ----- "Brad McEvoy" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I think we've seen this before with ms office. Can you try hacking
> > the
> > response handler to return 405 method not allowed instead of 501?
>
> In fact, I tried that, but I hacked the MiltonServlet to change the
> status after calling HttpManager.process. That might not have been the
> right place to make the change.

So, now I'm hacking the Response Handler instead. Stay tuned, I'll report back here in a few minutes.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA

Re: Vista officially sucks my butt. :)

Steve Sobol
Administrator

----- "Steve Sobol" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ----- "Steve Sobol" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > ----- "Brad McEvoy" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I think we've seen this before with ms office. Can you try
> hacking
> > > the
> > > response handler to return 405 method not allowed instead of 501?
>

> > In fact, I tried that, but I hacked the MiltonServlet to change the
> > status after calling HttpManager.process. That might not have been
> the
> > right place to make the change.
>
> So, now I'm hacking the Response Handler instead. Stay tuned, I'll
> report back here in a few minutes.

OK, I'm overriding respondMethodNotImplemented

Tried returning 405, as well as 423 (Locked) and 403 (Forbidden).

No difference...  I see the exact same behavior from Windows no matter what.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA

Re: Vista officially sucks my butt. :)

Brad McEvoy
I got the expected result on vista in milton-test. See below..

a. in milton-test 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT (built from source) i removed the
DeletableResource from the implements list of TResource:

ie from this:
public abstract class TResource implements GetableResource,
PropFindableResource, DeletableResource, MoveableResource,

to this:
public abstract class TResource implements GetableResource,
PropFindableResource, MoveableResource,

b. i did mvn jetty:start

c. used "add network location" on windows vista SP1 to map to
http://127.0.0.1:80/webdav

d. from windows explorer create a new folder "ff" in existing folder
"folder1"

e. delete the new folder

f. windows explorer says "Error - can't delete "ff", as is should

Can you do the same to narrow down the possible causes? Could be
different versions of windows or milton, etc.

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 18:21 -0500, "Steve Sobol" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> ----- "Steve Sobol" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > ----- "Steve Sobol" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > hacking
> >

> > > In fact, I tried that, but I hacked the MiltonServlet to change the
> > > status after calling HttpManager.process. That might not have been
> > the
> > > right place to make the change.
> >
> > So, now I'm hacking the Response Handler instead. Stay tuned, I'll
> > report back here in a few minutes.
>
> OK, I'm overriding respondMethodNotImplemented
>
> Tried returning 405, as well as 423 (Locked) and 403 (Forbidden).
>
> No difference...  I see the exact same behavior from Windows no matter
> what.
>
> --
> Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA

  Brad McEvoy

Re: Vista officially sucks my butt. :)

Steve Sobol
Administrator

----- "Brad McEvoy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> b. i did mvn jetty:start

Which version of Jetty are you using?

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA

Re: Vista officially sucks my butt. :)

Steve Sobol
Administrator

----- "Brad McEvoy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got the expected result on vista in milton-test. See below..
>
> a. in milton-test 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT (built from source) i removed the
> DeletableResource from the implements list of TResource:

I gave up on trying to _build_ 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT, but I did download it.

I'm still having the same problem (using 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT with my CMS, Windows seems to ignore HTTP errors returned by Milton, while other DAV clients don't).

I'm using Vista Ultimate SP2 with the WebDAV hotfix. Which version/service pack are you using?

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA