Vista, again.

Steve Sobol
Administrator
I took a vacation from Milton for a while and now I'm trying it again.
The problems I have are NOT Milton problems AFAIK...

When I try to delete a file, Milton returns HTTP error 405 because I've
not implemented DeletableResource. Windows ignores that and the file
disappears from the folder anyhow.

I've found this to be true whether I use Vista's WebDAV functionality or
Netdrive (I've tried both).

I am going to try to bring this to Microsoft's attention, but is there a
workaround?

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA

Re: Vista, again.

Brad McEvoy-2
Hi Steve,

Good to have you back!

I have a hunch that just returning an alternative error code might do
the trick. Eg a 400, 403, 409, 417 or even a 500 might convince vista
that the file hasnt actually been deleted. Can you do a little
experimenting? If we can find a suitable replacement then we can hack
some user agent specific logic to transform the status code just for vista.

Thanks,
Brad

Steve Sobol wrote:

> I took a vacation from Milton for a while and now I'm trying it again.
> The problems I have are NOT Milton problems AFAIK...
>
> When I try to delete a file, Milton returns HTTP error 405 because
> I've not implemented DeletableResource. Windows ignores that and the
> file disappears from the folder anyhow.
>
> I've found this to be true whether I use Vista's WebDAV functionality
> or Netdrive (I've tried both).
>
> I am going to try to bring this to Microsoft's attention, but is there
> a workaround?

Re: Vista, again.

Steve Sobol
Administrator
On 3/31/2010 1:41 PM, Brad McEvoy wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Good to have you back!
>
> I have a hunch that just returning an alternative error code might do
> the trick. Eg a 400, 403, 409, 417 or even a 500 might convince vista
> that the file hasnt actually been deleted. Can you do a little
> experimenting? If we can find a suitable replacement then we can hack
> some user agent specific logic to transform the status code just for
> vista.

Yeah, I recall you suggesting that (off-list) a while ago. I certainly
can try it. Where do I implement the alternate status codes?

More importantly, how do we distinguish a Vista WebDAV request from
WebDAV requests from other versions of Windows?

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA